About the Parish

 Canon Burrowes who was a PP at St Paul's

Canon Burrowes who was a PP at St Paul's

aboutstpaul.jpg
aboutsttim.jpg
 A side view at St Paul's

A side view at St Paul's

 A boy praying at St Timothy's

A boy praying at St Timothy's

 Fr Anthony Bullen who was a PP at St Paul's

Fr Anthony Bullen who was a PP at St Paul's

 Fr O'Donoghue who was a PP at St Paul's

Fr O'Donoghue who was a PP at St Paul's

 Fr Peter Kelly Assistant priest at St Timothy's from 1967 to 1974

Fr Peter Kelly Assistant priest at St Timothy's from 1967 to 1974

Brief welcome

Welcome to the Parish of St Paul and St Timothy in the  West Derby area of Liverpool. We are a growing parish with at present around 700 people attending our three weekend Masses, Saturday 5:30pm at St Timothy's, Sunday 8:30am and 11:15am at St Paul's.

 

It all started when…

St Paul's church was opened in 1914 and consecrated in 1915. St Timothy's parish was established in 1957 and the two parishes amalgamated in 1997.

(a bit more on the history please, from History group)

 

More on St Paul's Parish 1915 -1997

The next few paragraphs about Fr Alphonse were supplied by the History Group.  

In 1928 Father Leeming died, he was buried at Yew Tree Catholic Cemetery and was succeeded by Father Kavanagh who was priest in charge until 1930 when Father Alphonse Van Wassenhove was appointed Parish Priest assisted by Fr Corrigan. The new parish priest was a man who many regarded as its most colourful Priest, older members of the Parish remember him standing outside the Church after Mass on a Sunday morning dressed in a broad- rimmed Roma hat and Soutane looking like a French Curate. Some regarded Father Van as being blunt because he missed little that went on in the Parish and was an astute man who did not always see eye to eye with Parishioners.  

There is a letter in the Parish Archives at The Cathedral of him complaining to the Archbishop about not being consulted over new boundaries, responsibilities for church and religious buildings in his parish when St Margaret Mary’s parish was formed in 1931; his view was that he was the Parish Priest and should be afforded more respect in such decisions. 

The parish increased by about sixty percent in numbers during Father Van’s tenure whilst the school numbers fell by about one fifth, partly due to the building of St Teresa’s and St. Matthew’s schools in the thirties and because of the increased number of places at St. Edwards college. Father Michael Kennedy arrived in 1943 to assist both Fr Van and Fr Corrigan, he remained until 1959.  

The war years had been particularly difficult with increasing liabilities of the schools and the increased size of the Parish and by the end of the war, Fr Van Wassnhove was approaching seventy. In order to plan for accession he gave Archbishop Downey advance notice of his intention to retire which he did in 1945, when he retired to Belgium and died on 21st February 1951.

There will be more later but, in the meantime, have a look at this interesting link.

Parish Priests of St Paul's

Fr. William Leeming                             1892-1927

Fr. B. Kavanagh                                      1927-1930

Fr Alphonsus Van Wassenhove        1930-1945

Fr Timothy O’Donoghue VF               1945-1973

Monsignor Sydney Breen                   1973-1975

Fr Anthony Bullen                                 1975-1980

Canon Vincent Burrowes                   1980-1992

Fr Peter Nicholson  RIP                       1992 - 2004

Parish Priests of St Paul's & St Timothy's from 1997

Fr Peter Nicholson  RIP                       1997-2004

Fr Sean Kirwin                                       2004-2017  

Fr Darren  Carden                                 2017- current

 

More on St Timothy's Parish 1957 - 1997

There will be more later but, in the meantime, have a look at this interesting link.

Parish Priests of St Timothy's

(Please can someone give correct  dates?)

Fr. Fitzsimmons

Fr. Gerard Snape

Fr. James Finnigan

Also Fr Peter Kelly was an assistant priest from 1967 to 1974. He died on 10th July 2018. He was very good with the children and introduced a Wednesday Mass in St Timothy's after school.

 

St Paul's and St Timothy's Parish after Amalgamation

More Info coming later...

In January 2018, in the parish club after the annual Mass for volunteers, there was a presentation made to Fr Sean Kirwin, our former parish priest, who moved to St Joseph and St Laurence, Kirkby in October 2017. The Mass was beautiful and a lovely evening was enjoyed by the many parishioners who came to the club. Fr Sean thanked parishioners for their gift. 

(Can someone send a photo, please)

Finally....

Whether you are old or young, a new parishioner or a well established parishioner, the parish history is always interesting but it is only important if  it helps us to build our community spirit and we move on from the past. 

 Fr Snape who was a PP at St Timothy's

Fr Snape who was a PP at St Timothy's

 Main altar at St Paul's

Main altar at St Paul's

 Our Lady side altar at St Paul's

Our Lady side altar at St Paul's

 Sacred Heart side altar at St Paul's

Sacred Heart side altar at St Paul's

 Fr Fitzsimmons who was a PP at St Timothy's. Picture taken in May 1985

Fr Fitzsimmons who was a PP at St Timothy's. Picture taken in May 1985

  Fr Peter Nicholson who was PP of St Paul's and of St Timothy's during amalgamation period

Fr Peter Nicholson who was PP of St Paul's and of St Timothy's during amalgamation period

 Fr Sean Kirwin, the last Parish Priest of St Paul and St Timothy before Fr Darren came in Nov 2017. 

Fr Sean Kirwin, the last Parish Priest of St Paul and St Timothy before Fr Darren came in Nov 2017.